Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My appointment with Dr. K.

I want to start this as a personal journal about trying to get rid of my rosacea permanently. I am hopeful. I really like Dr. K. It was a quick appointment but it was all business and I am okay about that.

(I have had rosacea for over 10 years -never really thought too much about it and now I am obsessed about it.)

She asked a series of questions like:

. Does anyone in your family have redness? I answered no but will find out for sure.
. Do I have a tendencies to get red when in the sun or drinking alcohol. I don't drink alcohol but I definitely get red in the sun very quickly!
. Do I get bloody noses? yes I do.
. Do I get red quickly when playing tennis and activities like this? Yes.

Dr. K also noticed how dry my hands were too. She looked closely at my skin and said she was certain it was rosacea but what she wanted to do was some bloodwork. The blood test was to see if there was no underlying thing that was causing my rosacea. I need to call back in a week to see if she found out anything.

So in the meanwhile, there was a laundry lists of things to consider and watch out for and skincare regime.

. Avoid anything hot, spicy foods, hot beverages.
. Ask family members about redness.
. Wash face 2 times a day with lukewarm water using either Vanicream or Lather of Head&Shoulders shampoo. I am to test one product for 5 days and then try the other product for 5 days and note down any changes/differences.

Right now I am washing my face with Keys products -all 100% chemical free. Did it make a difference? A little. I know when I used Eucerin -my face definitely was much redder.

. I am getting a prescription for Nizoral/Tridesilon -a topical cream. I am to put it on my face 2 times a day for 1 week only and after that only on weekends. I am going to google and see what the ingredients are.

. Then Monday to Friday -I am to put Vanicream Moisturizer and Vanicream Sunscreen #60.

. Keep a dairy of when I flare up.

I am to avoid the following foods for 1 week and then see what happens:
. Strawberries
.Shellfish
.Nuts
.Tomatoes
.Cheese
.Chocolate

. I am to take Claritin in the mornings.

Well, this is a lot to do but I have a feeling it will be worth it. Especially if my redness can dissipate and if I can see improvement within a week.

This journal will be my recordings of what I eat and if anything I eat triggers my rosacea.

No comments:

Post a Comment